My affair with Upma

How many of you hate Upma??

I really don't know the reason, but I do hate it. In childhood I never want to have it. Every time amma makes it at home, I decide to starve, than have it. Under unavoidable circumstances, I used to mix huge quantity of sugar or chutney to completely alter its looks and feel before eating. But every dish has its time. (Like every dog has its day):(

By the way, how many of you remember Pokiri? There is a dialogue in Pokiri which Maheshbabu says with Illiana. It goes some thing like...
“Prathi roju dabbalaku dabbalu ethhuku povatame kani, ary kuradu gali tirugudu tiruthunnadee…. evaru lere papam… tinnada ledaa… kanisma intha upma ayinaa pettavaa? Ledu. Carrierlu Carrierlu pattukoni oo tiruguthuntav tappa enadaiyina evayinaa pettavva? “

I don’t know how many times food vendors in my office saw this scene. But Upma is their favorite dish. From day 1 of my job, Upma is hunting me as if we had enmity of past 7 lives. Every day there will be some sort of umpa in cafe.

Upma… Veg upma… Pea’s upma… Tomoato Bath… Ravva upma…Poha (atukulu upma)… Vermicelli upma… Rice ravva upma… Godhuma rava upma… Bread upma… Idli upma… God only knows how many more verities are there … :(

Almost every day I start and end work cursing Upma only! It became a routine now… but Upma is not leaving me :( This makes me remember another scene from Pokiri, which goes like...
Pandu: Emundi Dabba lo (what is there in box?)
Shruthi's Brother: upma.
Pandu: Family family upma thini bathikesthunnareee… (Does your entire family survive on upma alone?)


Now I have to say Entire World surviving on Upma alone … May be I can't imagine life with out Upma :(

11 comments:

Vivek said...

good one dude!!!
I used to hate upma until i cooked it for myself!!

Prashant said...

Even i used to hate Upma. But after coming to Hyd, i started liking it - desperate times desperate measures!


BTW - "Tomoato Bath" is not a bad idea - When you get up late and don't get time to take a bath at home, you can take tomato bath in office - isn't it a great idea?

Unknown said...

Even i never used to like upma... but that is one of the easiest things to make...

got to start liking things then it would not taste that bad...
telling out of experience... :)

Lavanya said...

I'm the odd person out here, so to say...I loooove upma :D


@Prashant: Lol! for your comment on tomato bath and bath :D

Tanvi said...

Awesome post!! had a great laugh in the morning. Way to go vissu. And you know what ... I am a upma hater too!!

Deepthi Pola said...

just like lavanya i m the odd person here i guess.. i love upma!!!

Sujith said...

try making upma yourself dude..... i am sure you will like it :)

Unknown said...

@ Vivek, Vani, Sameera(Tanvi):
I tried making Upma couple of times before. Once I have to pour it in a glass to drink. Next time it is as good as sand at Vizag beach. Since then I have decided not to experiment any more ;)

@ Prashant: Dude, I am not your types. I take bath twice every day. So no need of Tomato bath for me :D

@Lavanya, Deepthi(sweeliee):
Hmm... different ppl have different tastes. May be I need to eat from your plates next time onwards to feel it.

Prashant said...

@Lavanya

Tomato bath is not the only option. In the Blore center, they have different baths which you can take based on your mood an weather. To name a few:

1. Khaara Bath
2. Kesari Bath
3. Bisi Belle Bath
4. Rice Bath (means pulao!)
5. Avalakki Bath

Wish they also had rose-petals-Cleopatra Bath :-p

Vidyadhar N said...

It has been 5 months since I ate any of those... starving for it... u will miss it when u dont get it :( ...

Hemu said...

I hate upma that I used to make..but now i got some expertise on it..now i can make eatable upma..
ofcourse I hate upma too..
this makes me remember the dialog -
"aadavaallu upma enduku chesthaaro thelusu, cheyyadam easy, paareyyadam kuda easy" ;)